Tag Archives: optifast core program
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. This will allow you to stay well hydrated and consequently you will minimize consumption of calorie laden beverages with no nutritional value
- Small dietary changes lead to significant weight loss over time. 3500 calories is equivalent to one pound of weight. So to lose a pound in a month, one must decrease consumption by 120 calories a day. This is roughly equivalent to not having one pop of can a day. Over a year this would translate to 12 pound of weight loss!!
- Change your dinner plates to a smaller size. This will cause you to have smaller portions and also overtime change your expectations of how much food constitutes a meal
- Do NOT eat in front of the TV. When one eats while distracted it is very easy to overeat as you are not aware of how much you are consuming and you will not be able to pick up cues from your body that you are full
- When you eat your meals, always eat the protein first. This is important as you want to eat food with bulk as it will cause your stomach to get full faster and you feel satiated sooner and consequently eat less. This then leaves less space in your stomach for empty and nutritionally deplete calories from refined carbohydrates
- Avoid drinking your calories. Liquid calories have very little nutritional value and they do not cause your stomach to feel full and cause satiety
- Do not skip meals. Skipping meals is a sure fire way to gain weight and over eat. Firstly, when you skip meals your body shifts into starvation mode which causes your bodies metabolism to slow down. Furthermore, by the time you eat you are feeling starved and as a result you will overeat. Eating three healthy balanced meals with two snacks daily is the best way to minimize calories consumption and lose weight in a safe and sustainable fashion.
The OPTIFAST core program is a medical grade meal replacement product. Numerous studies have shown that Meal Replacement programs lead to significantly more weight loss compared to traditional diets. Some of the features of the OPTIFAST program that will help you achieve a healthier weight include:
- Stimulus narrowing: Less food choices decrease appetite and food consumption
- Stimulus control: When you are using the OPTIFAST program food triggers are avoided
- The shakes control and limit your portion size
- Structured program which helps limit snacking and increased calorie consumption
- The OPTIFAST shakes are easy to prepare and portable
- High protein content leads to greater satiation
- Avoids having to use excessive time on calorie counting
If you are interested to see if our OPTIFAST program is a good fit for you, please book a consultation with our physician.
The NWCR is a large database that collects data on patients who have successfully lost weight of at least 30 lbs and have kept it off for at least a year. The average weight loss registry member has lost 66 lbs and maintained the weight loss for 5.5 years on average!!
Key findings of successful people who have lost and maintained there weight loss include:
- 78% have breakfast daily
- 62% watch less than 10 hours of television daily
- 90% exercise at least an hour daily
- 75% weigh themselves at least once weekly.
These findings provide important insights into maintaining weight loss such as not skipping meals and minimizing sedentary activities.
Studies have shown losing weight prior to many orthopedic and intrabdominal surgeries can lead to a faster recovery and less post-operative complications. For example, when performing gallbladder surgery or fixing hiatal hernia’s the liver has to be lifted upward. OPTIFAST taken a few weeks prior to surgery has been shown to shrink the liver making the surgery safer. In addition, losing weight helps increase one’s mobility which facilitates a speedier recovery. Please book a consultation to see if OPTIFAST prior to your surgery is right for you.
Are you ready to start on the Optifast Core Program?
Success cannot be achieved without motivation, a positive attitude and clear goals. At the Peel Weight Loss Clinic Clinic we want you to succeed on Optifast. Your success motivates and energizes us. We also understand that we can provide you with some tools, but true success comes from within. If you are serious about losing weight and keeping the weight off, we want to be your partner in this journey.
The questionnaire below can help you gauge whether you are ready for the OPTIFAST CORE Program. If you complete the test, please let us know during your initial assessment:
Compared to previous attempts, how motivated to lose weight are you this time?
- Not at all motivated
- Slightly motivated
- Somewhat motivated
- Quite motivated
- Extremely motivated
How certain are you that you will stay committed to a weight loss program for the time it will take you to reach your goal?
- Not at all certain
- Slightly certain
- Somewhat certain
- Quite certain
- Extremely certain
Consider all outside factors at this time in your life (the stress you’re feeling at work, your family obligations, etc.). To what extent can you tolerate the effort required to stick to a diet?
- Cannot tolerate
- Can tolerate somewhat
- Can tolerate well
- Can tolerate easily
Think honestly about how much weight you hope to lose and how quickly you hope to lose it. Figuring a weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week, how realistic is your expectation?
- Very unrealistic
- Somewhat unrealistic
- Moderately unrealistic
- Somewhat realistic
- Very realistic
While dieting, do you fantasize about eating a lot of your favorite foods?
While dieting, do you feel deprived, angry and/or upset?
Tally up your score and see the scoring system below:
If you scored:
6 to 16:
This may not be a good time for you to start a weight loss program. Inadequate motivation and commitment together with unrealistic goals could block your progress. Think about those things that contribute to this, and consider changing them before undertaking a diet program.
17 to 23:
You may be close to being ready to begin a program but should think about ways to boost your preparedness before you begin. Please contact us an arrange an assessment with one of our team members.
24 to 30:
The path is clear with respect to goals and attitudes. We would love to partner with you and get you started on the Optifast Core Program at PWL
The Diet Readiness Test and the General Well-Being Schedule.” Institute of Medicine. Weighing the Options: Criteria for Evaluating Weight-Management Programs. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 1995. doi:10.17226/4756.