Tag Archives: weight loss certified physicians
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day. This will allow you to stay well hydrated and consequently you will minimize consumption of calorie laden beverages with no nutritional value
- Small dietary changes lead to significant weight loss over time. 3500 calories is equivalent to one pound of weight. So to lose a pound in a month, one must decrease consumption by 120 calories a day. This is roughly equivalent to not having one pop of can a day. Over a year this would translate to 12 pound of weight loss!!
- Change your dinner plates to a smaller size. This will cause you to have smaller portions and also overtime change your expectations of how much food constitutes a meal
- Do NOT eat in front of the TV. When one eats while distracted it is very easy to overeat as you are not aware of how much you are consuming and you will not be able to pick up cues from your body that you are full
- When you eat your meals, always eat the protein first. This is important as you want to eat food with bulk as it will cause your stomach to get full faster and you feel satiated sooner and consequently eat less. This then leaves less space in your stomach for empty and nutritionally deplete calories from refined carbohydrates
- Avoid drinking your calories. Liquid calories have very little nutritional value and they do not cause your stomach to feel full and cause satiety
- Do not skip meals. Skipping meals is a sure fire way to gain weight and over eat. Firstly, when you skip meals your body shifts into starvation mode which causes your bodies metabolism to slow down. Furthermore, by the time you eat you are feeling starved and as a result you will overeat. Eating three healthy balanced meals with two snacks daily is the best way to minimize calories consumption and lose weight in a safe and sustainable fashion.
The OPTIFAST core program is a medical grade meal replacement product. Numerous studies have shown that Meal Replacement programs lead to significantly more weight loss compared to traditional diets. Some of the features of the OPTIFAST program that will help you achieve a healthier weight include:
- Stimulus narrowing: Less food choices decrease appetite and food consumption
- Stimulus control: When you are using the OPTIFAST program food triggers are avoided
- The shakes control and limit your portion size
- Structured program which helps limit snacking and increased calorie consumption
- The OPTIFAST shakes are easy to prepare and portable
- High protein content leads to greater satiation
- Avoids having to use excessive time on calorie counting
If you are interested to see if our OPTIFAST program is a good fit for you, please book a consultation with our physician.
Studies have shown losing weight prior to many orthopedic and intrabdominal surgeries can lead to a faster recovery and less post-operative complications. For example, when performing gallbladder surgery or fixing hiatal hernia’s the liver has to be lifted upward. OPTIFAST taken a few weeks prior to surgery has been shown to shrink the liver making the surgery safer. In addition, losing weight helps increase one’s mobility which facilitates a speedier recovery. Please book a consultation to see if OPTIFAST prior to your surgery is right for you.
The Team is proud to announce that two of their physician experts have obtained the prestigious designation of Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine. This is a testament to our physician’s commitment to providing our patients with the most up to date and evidence based patient care.
By obtaining this designation it certifies that our physicians have obtained expertise is the pathophysiology of obesity, surgical and non-surgical management strategies and caring for the whole patient. The American Board of Obesity Medicine is the primary board responsible in ensuring credentials and training is adequate for expertise in obesity medicine. We would like to congratulate our physicians for obtaining this prestigious designation.
If you would like to see how one of our Obesity Medicine Specialists can help you on your weight loss journey please book a complimentary consultation.